Zach Princell, Pharm.D., Assistant Product Manager
The documentation of Pharmacist Electronic Care Plans (PeCP) has evolved into routine practice among the clinical services-oriented community and long-term care pharmacies, with good reason. Their growing popularity calls for ever-improving tools – which you’ll find in the new RedSail Patient Chart.
eCare Plan Basics
The PeCP serves as a tool for clinically documenting patient encounters and care services with the goal of breaking the long-established communication barriers between pharmacies, providers, and payers. eCare Plans are typically developed for use by pharmacy technology providers to give pharmacists an electronic platform for documenting and exchanging information related to patient care delivery. This may include, but is not limited to, patient demographic and medical information, drug therapy problems, clinical interventions, educational initiatives, patient goals and outcomes, active medication lists, lab measurements and vital signs, immunization records, social history, and care coordination efforts. The platform uses specific, established code systems like SNOMED-CT and LOINC that translate into clinical concepts that integrate across other software platforms in the healthcare continuum.
The value of documenting PeCPs show no signs of slowing down as more and more reimbursement opportunities become available for their completion. RedSail Technologies recognized the importance of providing our customers with a technologically advanced, easy-to-use platform. eCare Plan functionality was built directly into our pharmacy management systems (PMSs), NRx and PrimeCare, on the HL7 standard – Consolidated Clinical Document Architecture (C-CDA) format, which can be best explained as a read-only medium used to dump a huge file of patient information. The file represents a snapshot of a care plan at a single point in time, as opposed to a longitudinal care plan, for transmission to other providers and teams to ensure continuity of care.
To take our eCare Plan solution to the next level, we wanted to build a platform on the newer HL7 standard – Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources (FHIR®) format, which is becoming the industry standard for healthcare interoperability. The FHIR format lends itself to more flexibility when developing applications for patients and providers by making healthcare data more accessible, computable, and usable to improve outcomes.
New RedSail Patient Chart
The RedSail Patient Chart takes patient care planning to the next level with multiple new features to fit all your clinical documentation needs.
This new tool is a web-based application hosted in the cloud that uses a microservice architecture. The structure allows us to rapidly react and update the application based on changing customer requirements without causing system instability. The application directly integrates with NRx and PrimeCare, which will still be used to view and update patients as well as to generate new eCare Plans, by redirecting the user to an internet browser window for the actual documentation.
New and improved features include but are not limited to the following:
- Add multiple encounters to a single eCare Plan to document patient encounters over time.
- Tired of eyeballing massive drop-down lists of SNOMED-CT codes? Fret no more with built-in search bars to easily find any part of the code descriptor.
- Did switching through the eCare Plan tabs drive you crazy? An easy-to-follow workspace allows you to document all problems, interventions, educations, goals, outcomes, and referrals effortlessly from the same screen.
- Need a new code added? New codes can be added substantially faster. No more waiting on a service pack addendum.
- Add more, optional documentation to your eCare Plans with new sections like Social History, Diagnoses, Immunizations, Labs and Vital Tracking, and more.
- Enjoy a redesigned, visually appealing printout format to share with patients and providers alike.
- Submit your completed patient encounters to CPESN® and attach available payer codes for reimbursement.
- You won’t lose existing eCare Plans. They’re seamlessly imported from your PMS to the new application.
- Do you own multiple pharmacies? The RedSail Patient Chart is a full enterprise solution that allows you to access Patient Records and eCare Plans from every pharmacy location.
- Create user profiles based on your pharmacy’s personnel with specific permissions.
- Access the RedSail Patient Chart from any appropriate internet-enabled device!
Need to Know
Please take note that once the new application is enabled, all existing eCare Plan functionality in NRx and PrimeCare will be disabled. If you prefer the PMS built-in solution, you may certainly continue to use what works best for your pharmacy; however, please note that enhancements are no longer being made to the older tool.
The RedSail Patient Chart is available to NRx and PrimeCare customers at no additional charge. To begin your transition and elevate your eCare Plan services, please email email@example.com or call 800.845.7558, ext. 1471.